Saturday, May 15, 2010

Continued...

Well it has been a few weeks since I last posted. Surprisingly, I did want to post quite sooner, but then i thought to myself that the outlook on society if i posted TOO early might make them look like ego centric retards who only thing about themselves.
So, in good faith I opted to wait. Because I am sure you recall my last posting about how inconsiderate some people are when they are out and about. With that being said, it has been a good 2 weeks since i decided to start this little social experiment. And i have to say that although there are a handful of people who know their P's and Q's, the majority of the population do not or choose not to use them.
In the past 2 weeks, being a Mom or anyone for that matter, I have had to go to the grocery store, Walmart, the mall, whatever. And in EACH of these establishments, I have encountered someone incapable of saying "excuse me". Case in Point, I was at walmart TODAY and an elderly lady was behind us, and Abby's shoe had come off, and i wanted to grab it before she tossed it over. And this woman sneered, and zoomed around us, flashing me a dirty look. I mean, common, really? All this anguish over having to wait a moment?
Also, i was at the grocery store with my Mom, and there were 2 cases in which someone wanted to get around us, or wanted to get to something by us, and these (unfortunately mainly women) would stand there, waiting, with attitude drawn all over their faces and when i whisper to Mom, "i think someone wants by", the other women take it as a relief that someone FINALLY noticed them standing behind you. I mean have woman somehow decided to be terrible people to everyone around them, or have we all lost our own voices??
This topic as trivial as it may be, irritates me so that i just don't know what can be done. Its amazing when you actually focus on a subject and take it to the field, the amount of information you take in.
For instance (because obviously no one expects me to be listening in, or taking note of an expression), when people are "waiting" to get by you, you can hear Snickering, whispering, sighing, curses (yes believe it or not, i did hear someone drop the f bomb while they were waiting for a customer to finish taking something off the shelves). Its unbelievable the rude behaviour of some people in this society! I make a point to say Excuse me, or do you mind if i scootch by?

On a similar topic, we were driving back to my parents house from the plaza, and were coming to the intersection of South street and Osler, when all of a sudden, someone was honking behind us. Of course the first thing you think of is "shit, whats going on? is my trunk open? (because I'm going over the speed limit), do i have a flat? is my gas tank cap open? WHAT!?"
Sadly, the car behind it thought that going 65 in a 50 was just TOO slow and opted to honk at us, whip by us, and shake her (yes sadly her) head as she went by. Here's another tid bit to toss at you.....she had to have been 80 years old. 80!!!!! Flying down Osler! What is it with some old ladies and their lead feet? Or the fact that they think that they are entitled to something?? Yes they have lived their lives to the fullest possible, but that gives them the right to drive like a maniac? I don't think so. Or (and get this) butt in line at a restaurant? Yes i have seen this happen. Large line for a restaurant, little old lady butts everyone, and goes and sits down.

Now, there was another situation that i encountered a few months back. I was out getting diapers with the kids, and I'm sure everyone has seen the "Mother and child" parking spaces? I wasn't in one, but its no biggie really. Apparently a older couple had parked in one of these spaces, and the husband ran in. A lady in her (had to be early 30s?) went BALLISTIC on this poor woman. Granted she's not "supposed" to park there, but common, its not the law or anything. And in the grand scheme of things, its not the end of the world. Anyway, so the younger lady was SCREAMING at the older one " You've lived your life, give these other mothers a chance to live theirs!" " Go to hell you old Hag", and other high class sayings. Then, this woman goes in the store to contact someone about this elderly couple parking in this spot. She comes out, (with an associate), explaining everything. So here is where i come in. I came out of my car, and went up to the woman and the associate she had brought out, and said " Although i semi agree with this woman, that if a pregnant lady was out and it was hard for her to walk etc, it would be easier for her to park here. HOWEVER, the way that this woman has approached this situation has been TERRIBLE, calling this woman in the car a hag, to drop dead etc. (as i turn to her) There are a million ways to get your point across to someone, but the way you handled that just proved that you are no better then the woman sitting in the car. She thinks she can do what she wants, and you are acting like a 5 year old throwing a tantrum over nothing."
At that moment, the associate told the woman that there was nothing they could do, because its not the law.

The whole point about this social experiment, is to enlighten everyone that a simple please, thank you, excuse me is just that. SIMPLE. I mean, politeness will get you places, acting like a douchebag will only further you to look like a douchebage. Standing behind someone, swearing, sighing, whispering isn't going to get you where you want to go any faster. The next time you are in a store, and you want to get past someone, just say "excuse me". As i tell My 4 year old son almost everyday....USE YOUR WORDS!

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't have said it any better Kat! I often ask myself What is the world coming to? I have said it a million times that they world would be a lot better place if everyone would be just a little bit nicer to each other!

    ReplyDelete